Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Wheel of Unity....

Unity is something we talk a lot about these days.  This is not unprecedented and in fact the forefathers of our tradition had a lot to say on the subject.  I’ve shared before my interest in Thomas Campbell’s “Declaration and Address” in which he made an impassioned call for unity in the church of Christ.  Notice that wasn’t the Church of Christ, but the church of Christ.  In his declaration he makes 13 points that he believed are the key to unity.  One of my favorites is No. 7:
             7. That although doctrinal exhibitions of the great system of di-
             vine truths, and defensive testimonies in opposition to prevailing       
             errors, be highly expedient; and the more full and explicit they be,
             for those purposes, the better; yet, as these must be in a great
             measure the effect of human reasoning, and of course must con-
             tain many inferential truths, they ought not to be made terms of
             christian communion: unless we suppose, what is contrary to fact,
             that none have a right to the communion of the church, but such
             as possess a very clear and decisive judgment; or are come to a
                very high degree of doctrinal information; whereas the church
             from the beginning did, and ever will, consist of little children and
             young men, as well as fathers.

I love this one because it recognizes the value of scholarship, and at the same time makes it clear that he believes that there has been, and always will be, varying levels of understanding in the church.  Moreover, that there is should be no requirement that everyone understands or has reached a specific level of scholarship to be a member of the body.

Scripture is unwavering about the value of unity, and Campbell wrote pages and pages about it in his address in 1809 to the group of believers called together for the Great Communion.  His entire declaration was given to the need for unity.  Yet right smack dab in the middle he acknowledges, and even supports the idea, that there never has been, nor will there ever be, a complete agreement and understanding of all of scripture among the church.  So how can we have unity without everyone believing the same thing?

This is the distortion that has been applied to Unity today.  Unity may be hard to define, but I think I can safely say what it isn’t:
It is not total agreement on the meaning and understanding of scripture.  Christ recognizes this when he speaks to the Pharisees.  Paul understood this when he called the early churches to move on from milk to meat.  Thomas Campbell states this in the paragraph above. 

2.      It is not a tool to oppose change.  Unity does not mean that we can’t continue to renew our understanding and practices.  As we move from milk to meat, surely our understanding and practices will change.

3.      It is not a basis for intolerance.  Unity is a broadening of what is acceptable, not a narrowing.  Campbell recognized that there are few things in scripture that Christ commands.  In his 13th point, he states that when our practices involve things that are not “found on the open page of express revelation” then we need to say they are man’s practices.  He believed that in so doing, we will not hold people to beliefs or requirements that are not Christ’s commands, and when we decide to change them, it won’t cause division.

4.      It is not a call for conformity.  In his first point, Campbell recognizes that churches will “exist in particular and distinct societies, locally separate one from another,” but that we should all receive each other as Christ received diverse people, having the same mind and love as Christ.


Please don’t think I agree with Campbell on everything, and in the end some of the things he said in his other points he later had to “clarify.”  My fear today is that we are using Unity as a weapon.  We charge people with threatening the Unity of our body, which is just another way of saying, “if you don’t believe what I do, then you're wrong and threatening unity” or "if you want to change what we're comfortable with, you're threatening the Unity of the body."  I believe that Unity should be what allows us to fellowship with all Christians, finding that what matters at the core is Christ.  I believe that Unity is what allows us to worship in ways that may not be our favorite, because we have love for one another.  I believe that Unity is what fosters growth, allowing us to step out on faith knowing that our love for Christ and each other will bring us closer.

Unity in the church is like a wheel, with Christ as the hub.  The further we move from our core (Christ) to matters of worship and practice, the further we move out on the spokes.  Some of us might even be 180 degrees away from each other when we get out to things like Grace, Sunday school, instrumental worship, women’s roles, but that is ok.  As long as we have Unity in Christ at the center, we can all be part of the same wheel.  

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to interject on this subject, because it is something that has been near and dear to me since my teenage years. It has also been a source of frustration to me, and some of the bretheren that I have been associated through the years. In the tradition in which I was raised, unity interdenominationally and even between C.O.C. congregations which differed on matters of expedience was not popular. I do have to say, that my Dad (minister of 9th st. C.O.C.) was instrumental in my understanding, and pursuit of unity.

    If you will indulge me, I would like to expand on one item, and introduce a thought as well.

    "It is not a tool to oppose change." I want all who read this to understand that I agree with this statement completely. Unity is accepting a brother or sister who has been "immersed" in Christ in love despite differences in opinion, tradition, comfort zone, doctrinal understanding or misunderstanding. It is to recognize that we are all children of God despite our flawed living and thinking. To make such things as sunday school, multiple cups, located preachers, use of instuments, women teachers, and so on tests of fellowship I believe to be contrary not only to Campbell's declaration, but also the word of God. What I would like to add is that it is also not a tool to impose change. Change in understanding and practices may be good, and may be beneficial. However, it dangers on being factious when it offends the conscience of bretheren.

    Let me give an example so as to be clear. I grew up in a Church of Christ which did not use the institution of Sunday school or instrumental music during the corporate worship. I see no doctrine evidenced by scripture to support either the use or lack there of in either of these practices. I can worship at any congregation which pracitces either of these or doesn't. I recognize however, that some bretheren use these practices because of their understanding of the word of God. To this means, it violates the consciences of some of my bretheren to either practice or not to practice in these ways. If I were to impose my view of Sunday school or the instrument on the bretehren of the congregation of my youth, demanding that my peculiar view be adopted as the norm heedless of the peace and unity of the congregation, I would be acting as a factious man. I believe that the Apostle paul give us a clear picture of this in 1 Cor. 8.

    And as for the thought introduction: I perceive Campbell's declaration as applicable to interdenominational unity, not just congregational or of the same denomination. Where I fear many of us have struggled is in the application of unification between churches of different traditions and or denominations. I on the other hand find it easier to find unity with differing understandings and practices with those in which I do not worship with regularly. I understand that when I attend a community service of interdenominational faiths, I may hear a woman pray, or the organ play as we sing. I expect it, and worship my God despite the actions or practices of those around me. However, when it comes to a congregation moving to these practices when it has not used them before, the unity and peace is likely to be more difficult to keep in place.

    I want to end this post (which has already been too long) with one last thought. If congrational unity is an issue, then interdenominational unity will most likely never be acheived, and the church will continue to appear sectarian. If a congregation focuses on practices (whether more freely or legalistically) rather than on Christ it will become ineffective. When a congregation or group of congregations are unified in preaching Christ crucified they become a unstopable force.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First let me say that I couldn't be more thrilled about the comments and email I've received. I believe this a great way to have dialogue about our beliefs and discuss our opinions. My love and respect for these bothers and sisters will never be diminished because of a difference on some matter of my understanding. I have received a few comments and email with similar thoughts, so I want to address everyone in a single response.

    I couldn't agree more on matters of interdenominational fellowship. The body of Christ, I believe, is bigger than any single tradition. I also agree that Unity is not a tool that should be used to impose change. I do believe that it is an absolutely requirement for dealing with change. It is a tool for handling change; otherwise there would be no need to call for it.

    I fear that the "offending one's conscience" can be a slippery slope. Whose conscience should we be concerned with: those offended by change or those who continue to be offended by a lack of change? What about not being easily offended? Do we take turns being offended?

    Without Unity as a tool for handling change we are left with two choices: 1) refuse to practice or preach our new understanding because if anyone disagrees we are being factious (sin), or 2) leave and therefore break Unity (sin). It's a lose/lose.

    Note in 1 Cor. 8, Paul says the practice of eating food offered to idols "will not bring us closer to God." What if the practice is something that would bring the believer closer to God? How do we view this in light of his call in Hebrews 6, to continue to mature as Christians, moving beyond our basic understandings? Surely this is a call to growth. What do we do with the change?

    Maybe we continue to forgo our understanding, even if doing so not only affects our relationship with God, but the relationship of our children with God. Maybe we trust that if we show love and acceptance to others, if we are patient, God will someday reveal this "knowledge" (Paul's words) to everyone willing to receive it. Maybe we pray that our patience is seen by others as our commitment to Unity. Then if/when growth occurs after study and prayer, others would be willing to grant the same love and commitment to Unity? Or is Unity only a one-way street?

    What about Christ? As much as I love Paul, my salvation is in Christ. Did He "offend" anyone's conscience? His followers when He was talking to the woman at the well? The leaders when they brought Him a woman caught in adultery? What about when He healed on the Sabbath?

    In the end we can stand on this: "Love God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind; (and)…love your neighbor as yourself." Are we willing to practice these commands? If I have been comfortable while my brothers or sisters have been uncomfortable, am I willing to do the same for them? Do I love others enough?

    Blessings to you all....

    ReplyDelete