Friday, August 06, 2010

What do you REALLY want???

"Do you like God?  That may sound like a strange question, and I don't mean to be glib about God.  But if I do not like being with God, I simply will not be with him much...The point of this is not to make you feel guilty that you should want God more.  'Should' simply does not have the power to get you there." - John Ortberg

So what do you think?  Do you like God?  Does the thought of being with God create a sense of love and joy and excitement in your heart, or is it more of an obligatory, luke-warm, have-to-go-to-church kind of feeling?  I think I've definitely been on both sides of this fence.  Growing up as a kid, going to YFE (Yosemite Family Encampment) was the absolute, unparalleled joy of my summer.  I looked forward to it, longed for it, and was completely bummed when it was over... and then started anticipating the next summer again.  I loved the devo's, the fellowship, even the church services (and I was a kid). I loved everything about it.  Just like church camp, this was my utter joy, the closest I would feel to God all year.  The desire for this kind of event was a God-inspired desire, it was something that God put in me and the satisfaction of that desire through these events was an absolute blessing.  

Other times in life, I did what I thought was the "Godly" thing to do (e.g. going to church, attending church events) because I felt I should do them... and often times the should feeling wasn't enough.  The more the obligated I felt, the less I really wanted to go, do, participate.  In fact, the more I did these things out of obligation, the more resentment I felt about it.  Have you been there?  I'm not saying we can't find joy and love in attending our local church events, we absolutely can... if we want to...

Can we find ways today to recognized God in the things we love?  Has God given you a desire, agift or talent, the expression or satisfaction of which brings you great joy?  When we recognize that God gives us desires, and thank God for the satisfaction of those desires, we are enjoying and experiencing God more in our lives, a thing scripture says is pleasing to the Lord.  Our desires can become selfish and self-centered, self-agrandizing and self-promoting, none of which is pleasing to the Lord.  However, giving God thanks for meeting our desires, for giving us a life of abundance, recognizing Him in the blessings we enjoy, these are the things that allow us to grow closer to God and help us turn our should into want.  And God wants us to want Him.

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie Yocum1:46 PM

    Brice,
    Just last week I was overcome with the awesomeness that is all around us when a friend and I drove into Sequoia National Park. It gave me pause to think back to all the wonderful times we had summer after summer at YFE, and the feeling of loss as we drove back to "the real world" as we chose to term it. What was it that made us feel so unearthly, so lightheaded, so filled with spirit during those few days each summer. Was it hearing "The Word", was it Bible classes. Perhaps, and yet I think it was more being in and surrounded by the awesomeness that we have been GIVEN to enjoy each and every day of our lives. It was sharing meals, joys, laughter, tears, hurts, songs and devotion. It was taking hikes in the beauty that surrounded us, sharing our food in the beauty that surrounds us. There is no cathedral as beautiful as the one we LIVED in for that week each summer. We did not "go" to church, we truly were church.
    Now, can we do that in the valley? I believe we can, but, as you mentioned, we must be open to seeing and inhaling the beauty that surrounds us each and every day. Whether that beauty looks and sounds like a waterfall in Yosemite, or like the giggle of a precious child. Whether that beauty looks like a majestic redwood, or a ripe tomato from your garden. Isn't that all a part of the beauty that we have been given. Call if gifts of the Holy Spirit, call it universal love, or don't call it. But with love and gratitude, (or awe and joy), be aware and be filled with this overwhelming.........gift.

    ReplyDelete